Now that Winter is here in the UK, you have to start thinking of ways to insulate your home and make it more energy efficient. It is evident that the cost of gas and electricity has been on the rise, and this winter could be one of the most expensive yet. Now is the best time to take a look around your home and see where you can make efficient energy savings. Making changes to how you make use of energy can help control or cut down the cost of energy in your home.
As we all know, in Winter, temperatures tend to drop while heating expenses begin to rise. Most households depend on electricity and natural gas to keep warm in Winter, and it is not always easy to budget for the cost of these necessities. The following tips are sure to help you lower the bills without sacrificing the comfort of your family.
How To Save Electricity This Winter
- Remember to turn off lights when not in use: This is one of the easiest ways to cut down the bill on electricity. It’s as easy as turning off the lights when you’re about to leave the house. You should also know that over 10% of an average home’s electricity cost comes from lighting.
- Use a programmable thermostat: Getting a programmable thermostat is another great way to save on your electric bill. If you install a programmable thermostat in your home, you can set it to increase the temperature before you get home from work in winter and you can also set it to decrease right after you left the house in the morning.
- Switch to compact fluorescent and LED lighting: As we all know, households tend to use light more in Winter, try to switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs to save some energy. CFLs are known to use 75% less power compared to your standard light bulb and they also last longer too.
- Use a motion sensor light switch: As humans, there is a high possibility of forgetting to turn off the light after use, and this is sure to waste electricity and money all night long. This can be controlled by installing a motion sensor light switch. This device will automatically sense any movement in the room and switch on the lights. In the same vain, if no further motion is detected, the lights will go off automatically. The motion sensor light switch is sure to come in handy during the winter months as it can help you save on electricity without stress.
- Remember to clean your filter regularly: As we know, forced-air systems rely on filters to purify and circulate the air. Dirty or clogged filters increases the workload of the device thus leading to higher energy bills. So make sure you double-check your filters regularly to ensure they are in perfect condition.
How To Save Natural Gas This Winter
- Enhance your home’s insulation: Today many homes tend to suffer from severe heat loss through the roof, wall, and floor. For instance, you may discover that when it snows, the snow tends to melt on some houses and not others. This is because some houses do not have proper insulation installed to prevent heat loss. More than 45% of a standard home’s heating and cooling can be lost through the roof, walls, and floors. By having proper insulation on your roof, you can save hundreds of pounds by retaining heat this winter.
- Open the curtains: Allow nature to save some energy cost this winter. Take advantage of the natural sunlight and heat up your home while it lasts. Always remember to shut your windows and curtains at night, so you keep the heat from escaping.
- Seal leaky windows and doors: Take a good look around your home and check for possible leaks or areas where your heat may be escaping, and cold may creep in. Windows and doors are the common areas. Also, window air conditioners can be a huge source of heat loss in Winter. Try to seal all the leaks with plastic, weather stripping and other weatherproofing materials to prevent heat loss.
- Reverse your ceiling fan: Set your fan to run in reverse mode to generate an updraft and transfer warmer air down to the living room.
- Use portable electric heaters: Portable electric heaters are an excellent way to supplement your central heating unit and help it not have to work so hard to warm your home, especially if your main source of heat is gas which is sure to be exorbitantly high this season.
So there you have it, folks, by following all or some of these tips you can be sure to save hundreds of pounds this winter. Remember when it comes down to saving money on energy, there’s no one big quick fix. It’s actually the minor things that count. So try to look around your home and do all you can to make your energy consumption more efficient this winter.